Radiation Detection Systems 2nd Edition
Radiation Detection Systems: Sensor Materials, Systems, Technology and Characterization Measurements (Devices, Circuits, and Systems) 2nd Edition:
The advances in semiconductor detectors, scintillators, photodetectors such as silicon photomultipliers (SiPM), and reaodut electronics have experienced tremendous growth in recent years in terms of basic technologies and variety of applications.The second edition of the book Radiation Detection Systems presents variety of radiation detection systems giving readers a broad view of the state-of–the-art in the design of detectors, front-end electronics and systems offering optimized choices of the detection tools for a particular application. The new edition has been divided into two volumes. This first volume, on Sensor Materials, Systems, Technology and Characterization Measurements puts emphasis on sensor materials, detector structures, front electronics technology and their designs as well as system optimization for different applications. Also, the book include characterization measurements of the developed detection systems. Featuring contributions from leading experts and pioneers in their respective fields, this book
• describes progress in growth technologies of cadmium zinc telluride (CdZnTe) and cadmium telluride (CdTe) materials
• shows variety of specific detector structure designs and their integration with front-end amplification/processing electronics
• presents detection systems based on CdZnTe and CdTe detector technologies that are optimized for specific applications. The designed systems are characterized in terms of their spectral responses, spatial and timing resolutions
• addresses incomplete charge collection, pulse pileup, charge sharing between neighboring detector pixels and other phenomena that can degrade the spectral response of photon-counting detectors
• reports new developments of silicon photomultipliers used for reading the light from scintillators that starting to make a big impact particularly in the design concepts of novel medical instrumentation
With its combined coverage of new materials and innovative new system approaches, as well as a succinct overview of recent developments, this book is an invaluable tool for any engineer, professional, or student working in electronics or an associated field. Readers can refer to the second book to get a detailed understanding of more specific applications of the detection systems in medical imaging, industrial testing and security applications.
∗ Print ISBN: 0367707179, 978-0367707170, 9780367707170
∗ eText ISBN: 1000462218, 978-1000462210, 9781000462210
Table of Contents
1. CdZnTe and CdTe Crystals for Medical Applications
2. A First Principles Method to Simulate the Spectral Response of CdZnTe-Based X- and Gamma-Ray Detectors
3. Application Specific Geometric Optimization of CdTe and CdZnTe Detector Arrays
4. Photon-Integrating Hybrid Pixel Array Detectors for High-Energy X-Ray Applications
5. Position-Sensitive Virtual Frisch-Grid Detectors for Imaging and Spectroscopy of Gamma Rays
6. Detector Design for Surgical Guidance
7. Development of Energy-Integrating Detectors for Large-Area X-Ray Imaging
8. Silicon Photomultipliers in Scintillation Detectors for Nuclear Medicine
9. Tip Avalanche Photodiode – A New Wide Spectral Range Silicon Photomultiplier
10. Silicon Photomultiplier-Based Scintillation Detectors for Photon-Counting X-Ray Imaging
Jan Iwanczyk is a consultant to Universities and private companies since July 2017. He has served as a President and CEO of DxRay, Inc., Northridge, California, from 2005 to 2017.
Krzysztof (Kris) Iniewski is managing R&D development activities at Redlen Technologies Inc., a detector company based in British Columbia, Canada. During his 15 years at Redlen he has managed development of highly integrated CZT detector products in medical imaging and security applications.