Bailey & Scott’s Diagnostic Microbiology 15th Edition
Bailey & Scott’s Diagnostic Microbiology Fifteenth Edition:
Perfect your lab skills with the essential text for diagnostic microbiology! Bailey & Scott’s Diagnostic Microbiology, 15th Edition Is known as the #1 bench reference for practicing microbiologists and as the preeminent text for students in clinical laboratory science programs. With hundreds of full-color illustrations and step-by-step methods for procedures, this text provides a solid, basic understanding of diagnostic microbiology and also covers more advanced techniques such as matrix-assisted laser desorption time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Written by noted CLS educator Dr. Patricia Tille, Diagnostic Microbiology has everything you need to get accurate lab test results in class and in clinical practice.
- More than 800 high-quality, full-color illustrations help you visualize concepts.
- Expanded sections on parasitology, mycology, and virology allow you to use just one book, eliminating the need to purchase other microbiology textbooks for these topics.
- Hands-on procedures show exactly what takes place in the lab, including step-by-step methods, photos, and expected results.
- Case studies allow you to apply your knowledge to diagnostic scenarios and to develop critical thinking skills.
- Genera and Species boxes provide handy, at-a-glance summaries at the beginning of each organism chapter.
- Learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter provide measurable outcomes to achieve by completing the chapter material.
- A glossary defines terms at the back of the book and on the Evolve companion website.
- New! Updated content includes infectious disease trends and new illustrations such as culture plate images of real specimens, complex gram stains, lactophenol cotton blue microscopy, and more.
- NEW COVID-19information has been added.
- UPDATED topics include the Human Microbiome Project, expanded MALDI-TOF applications and molecular diagnostics in conjunction with traditional microbiology, additional streps, and significant news in mycology.
- EXPANDED glossary defines terms on the Evolve companion website.
∗ eText ISBN: 0323681069, 978-0323681063, 9780323681063
- See additional information on the Amazon.
Table of Contents
How to Use This Book
PART I BASIC BACTERIOLOGY
1. Bacteria Compared With Other Microorganisms
2. Structure of Bacterial Cells
5. Classification of Medically Important Bacteria
6. The Human Microbiome
8. Host Defenses
9. Laboratory Diagnosis
10. Antibacterial Drugs: Mechanism of Action
11. Antibacterial Drugs: Resistance
12. Bacterial Vaccines
13. Sterilization & Disinfection
PART II CLINICAL BACTERIOLOGY
14. Overview of the Major Pathogens & Introduction to Anaerobic Bacteria
15. Gram-Positive Cocci
16. Gram-Negative Cocci
17. Gram-Positive Rods
18. Gram-Negative Rods Related to the Enteric Tract
19. Gram-Negative Rods Related to the Respiratory Tract
20. Gram-Negative Rods Related to Animal Sources (Zoonotic Organisms)
27. Minor Bacterial Pathogens
PART III BASIC VIROLOGY
30. Genetics & Gene Therapy
31. Classification of Medically Important Viruses
33. Host Defenses
34. Laboratory Diagnosis
35. Antiviral Drugs
36. Viral Vaccines
PART IV CLINICAL VIROLOGY
37. Herpesviruses, Poxviruses, & Human Papilloma Virus
38. Respiratory Viruses
39. Important Childhood Viruses & Viruses With an Animal Reservoir
40. Viruses That Infect the Enteric Tract
41. Hepatitis Viruses
43. Tumor Viruses
44. Slow Viruses & Prions
45. Human Immunodeficiency Virus
46. Minor Viral Pathogens
PART V MYCOLOGY
47. Basic Mycology
48. Cutaneous & Subcutaneous Mycoses
49. Systemic Mycoses
50. Opportunistic Mycoses
PART VI PARASITOLOGY
51. Intestinal & Urogenital-Protozoa
52. Blood & Tissue Protozoa
53. Minor Protozoan Pathogens
PART VII IMMUNOLOGY
57. Overview of Immunity
58. Innate Immunity
59. Adaptive Immunity: Lymphocyte Antigen Receptors
60. Adaptive Immunity: T-Cell-Mediated Immunity
61. Adaptive Immunity: B Cells & Antibodies
62. Major Histocompatibility Complex & Transplantation
64. Antigen-Antibody Reactions in the Laboratory
65. Hypersensitivity (Allergy)
66. Tolerance & Autoimmune Disease
67. Tumor Immunity
PART VIII ECTOPARASITES
69. Ectoparasites That Cause Human Disease
PART IX INFECTIOUS DISEASES
70. Bone & Joint Infections
71. Cardiac Infections
72. Central Nervous System Infections
73. Gastrointestinal Tract Infections
74. Pelvic Infections
75. Upper Respiratory Tract Infections
76. Lower Respiratory Tract Infections
77. Skin & Soft Tissue Infections
78. Urinary Tract Infections
79. Sepsis & Septic Shock
PART X BRIEF SUMMARIES OF MEDICALLY IMPORTANT ORGANISMS
PART XI CLINICAL CASES
PART XII PEARLS FOR THE USMLE
PART XIII USMLE (NATIONAL BOARD)PRACTICE QUESTIONS
PART XIV USMLE (NATIONAL BOARD)PRACTICE EXAMINATION